Associate Regional Director of Development (New York)
About Zaytuna College
Zaytuna College is America’s first accredited Muslim liberal arts college that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees. A central goal of the College is to reintegrate the once vital and influential voice of Muslim thought and erudition back into the ongoing conversation of great ideas, which is informed largely by shifting Western values, and to do so within the context of our new, globalized society and in the manner articulated by the College’s mission statement: “to educate and prepare morally committed professionals, intellectuals, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical ideas shaping modern society.
Charged with dramatically increasing both the quality and size of the Zaytuna College prospect pool, the Office of Development plays a key role in the overall growth of private philanthropy for this unique institution.
The Associate Regional Director of Development will be based in their respective regions and deployed within those regions to engage existing donors and new prospects to eventually solicit funds for the College. The position requires extensive travel to originate prospect/donor activity to raise both annual and major gifts from a broad spectrum of College constituents. The associate regional director needs to work cooperatively with colleagues across the College. This position carries a portfolio of approximately 65 qualified prospects and is expected to make a minimum of 10 major gift ($10,000+) solicitations each fiscal year.
With broad latitude for independent judgment, and in coordination with the director and the chief development officer, the associate regional director has the following primary day-to-day responsibilities. These are not exclusive or all-inclusive.
Effectively manage a major prospect solicitation pipeline. Initiate and/or strengthen relationships with regional major gift prospects. Create strategies for and solicit donors capable of contributing gifts of $10,000 to $250,000. Efficiently plan productive travel. Initial work will likely involve a high number of identification and qualification visits for leadership annual giving and major gifts.
Continuously update the prospect and initial solicitations management database with information related to donor strategies, contacts, and results.
Conduct ongoing training and professional development, including updating of product knowledge by regular meetings with Advancement-based colleagues, faculty, and staff; training on Zaytuna College’s Advancement protocols and procedures; conducting technical training on Advancement’s prospect management system; honing professional skills through seminars, conferences, training, and individual mentoring.
Other duties, as required by the director or the chief development officer.
- A bachelor’s degree
- One to three years of Advancement experience at a university or college or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A track record of success in individual, annual, or major gift fundraising or in a sales position outside higher education; proven ability to “close sales”
- Must be able to travel by car and plane for long-distance business trips
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
- Excellent time/territory management skills; preference given to individuals who have worked in a regionally assigned office and have experience with and a passion for working “on the road”
- Broad knowledge of principles of fundraising; able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: (1) to initiate contact with potential donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers and senior college administrators; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to maintain stewardship contacts with donors
- For candidates without nonprofit experience, a proven ability to learn new skills and apply them in a new environment
- General knowledge of tax laws that affect charitable giving, personal assets, and estates, or the willingness to learn
- Superb oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Solid relationship-building skills; ability to interface with alumni, donors, volunteers, leading faculty, administrators, and trustees
- A strong desire to “sell and close”
- Ability to work collegially within the Development Department and across all Zaytuna College units
- In consultation with the director or chief development officer, make one or two multi-day trips per month, sufficient to meet the goal of 100 face-to-face visits per year
- Ability to effectively close gifts
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Personal belief in mission, goals, and objectives of private higher education within a Muslim focus
- Passionate about and committed to producing activity and dollar results
- Optimistic and positive
- Attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and high energy
- Tech savvy
- Sense of humor
- Socially and politically savvy
Compensation and benefits
Base salary $75,000-$85,000, depending on location.
Additional locations in the Northeast and South will be considered.
Interested in this role? Apply online or book a call to find out more.
|Job Category:||Associate Regional Director of Development|
|Location:||New York City or Washington, DC|
|Closing Date:||October 20th, 2021|
|Important:||Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis; early application is strongly suggested.|