Established in 1995 to provide education to children in Mumbai slums, Pratham (which means “first” in Sanskrit) is now one of the largest and most successful non-governmental education organizations in India. Working in collaboration with governments, communities, parents, teachers, and volunteers, we focus on innovative interventions to address gaps in the education system. The clarity of our mission—“every child in school and learning well”—drives our focus to make an impact on the lives of India’s children and extends from our leadership to our team in the field.
With operations in 21 of India’s 29 states, Pratham reaches millions of children and youth each year, from Kashmir to Tamil Nadu. Our methods have also spread beyond India’s borders through ASER (Annual Status of Education Report), India’s largest citizen-led assessment which has inspired parallel assessments of children’s learning in fourteen countries across the world.
What we do:
Develop Innovative Programs – Pratham uses outcome-driven programs that reconfigure teaching methodologies and challenge ineffective learning mechanisms. Our strategies focus on results, accountability and continuous learning and improvement. Build Scalable Models – Pratham’s low-cost learning models are rigorously tested and evaluated so they can be easily replicated on a larger scale to provide quality education to every child.
Advocate Change – Pratham’s willingness to take risks, adapt to changing circumstances and look beyond our programs gives us the leverage to create broader change. We amplify our impact by freely sharing information with other nonprofits and using our findings to advocate for large-scale policy changes.
Inspire Action – We engage parents, teachers and government to make learning a community effort. Local volunteers are vetted, trained and monitored to help implement learning interventions at the grassroots level using Pratham’s high-quality teaching materials.
Pratham USA is a volunteer-driven organization with 13 chapters across the United States that raise awareness and mobilize financial resources for our work on the ground. With a four-star rating (the highest possible) from Charity Navigator, Pratham USA ranks among the top 3% of all nonprofits in the country thanks to its sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
Pratham USA is recruiting a Regional Development Associate to assist in supporting the fundraising efforts of the West Region. This region currently includes chapters in Seattle, San Francisco-Bay Area, Los Angeles and Phoenix. The Development Associate will be accountable to the regional development team and will work closely with volunteers and the Pratham USA team. The Associate will report to the Regional Director based in Bay Area.
● Support the regional development team with maintaining and sorting data, including the use of the CRM, data input, and running reports for analysis, strategic planning, and chapter board member meetings.
● Support the Development team with research and drafting of materials for prospective and existing clients/donors (presentations, memos, etc.)
● Personally manage and cultivate a portfolio of donors with the aim to establish long term relationships and upgrade them into the mid-level giving tier.
● Serve as liaison for chapter initiatives such as Readathon, Young Professionals and University chapters.
● Assist with event logistics, budgets and coordination in collaboration with the national events team and development managers.
● Assist with client stewardship (answering calls, responding to emails, pledge collection, and other inquiries).
● Analyze development progress to make adjustments and improvements to initiatives and processes.
● Support with board meeting planning and decks.
● Provide administrative support to the development team and chapter Board members including assistance with calendar/scheduling, donor meetings, and key staff meetings.
● Work directly with management and development team to manage project workflow and oversee day to day milestones for projects.
● The role will involve regional travel with evening and weekend work schedules based on need.
Required Skills and Competencies
● Bachelor’s degree
● 1-3 years’ experience working in fundraising or project organization
● Superior interpersonal skills.
● Passionate about education and demonstrated empathy for international development.
● Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
● Knowledge of Salesforce preferred, and proficiency in Microsoft office and Google applications required.
● Motivated self-starter who can think critically and solve challenges creatively.
● Ability to work effectively in a results-oriented team environment and meet established deadlines.
● Able to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
● Able to work effectively with volunteers
The position is full-time with compensation commensurate to the skills level.