Position Title: Major Gifts Officer – West Coast
Location: Bay Area
Organization: American India Foundation
Overview: The American India Foundation (AIF) is committed to catalyzing social and economic change in India and building a lasting bridge between the United States and India through high-impact interventions in education, livelihoods, public health, and leadership development, with a particular emphasis on empowering girls and women to achieve gender equity. Working closely with local communities, AIF partners with NGOs to develop and test innovative solutions and with governments to create and scale sustainable impact. Founded in 2001, AIF has impacted the lives of more than 8 million of India’s poor and aims to reach 10 million by the end of 2022-23. The organization is a high growth mode and wants to expand its digital fundraising footprint both in the US and in India. Learn more at www.AIF.org
The Major Gifts Officer – West Coast is responsible for developing strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors with special focus on five figure multi-year gifts to support AIF’s programmatic priorities.
• Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization.
• Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including our donor database and wealth screening tools.
• Manage existing portfolio of 100+ donors and prospects.
• Work with the development department to align efforts and set goals.
• Create and implement a donor pipeline plan to feed portfolio
• Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
• Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition.
• Track and report progress using specific metrics.
Reporting and relationships:
The role will report to the Director of Development – West Coast of the organization.
⮚ Donor Prospecting (15%):
• Working within AIF’s own database to upgrade current donors and reactivating lapsed donors
• Within the MGO’s region, developing relationships and networks to gain new donor leads.
⮚ Donor Cultivation (20%):
• Meet, educate, and build relationships with prospective donors
• Understand what motivates the donor’s philanthropy
• Prepare prospective donors for eventual ask.
⮚ Donor Stewardship (25%):
• Ensuring current donors are up-to-date with AIF programs
• Find meaningful moments to interface with donors.
⮚ Proposing and pitching (40%):
• Work with donors cultivated on where they want to invest in AIF
• Make verbal or via proposals funding asks of donors
Key Skills, Competencies and Desired Qualifications:
• A passion for AIF’s mission to bring positive change to the people of India
• Demonstrated experience, success, and progressive responsibility in fundraising with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience.
• Ability to set goals strategically and oversee execution.
• High level of discretion and ethical approach to fundraising.
• Proven ability to interact and influence philanthropic leaders.
• Experience motivating and managing high-profile volunteer leadership and senior executives.
• Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Application Suites with a high level of general computer competency.
• Proficiency in database management (Raiser’s Edge preferred), and other computer skills, as required.
Salary: American India Foundation offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills.
Benefits: American India Foundation offers an excellent benefit package including the below:
• Medical insurance (comprehensive benefit package 100% paid by AIF).
• Dental and Vision insurance.
• AIF paid 403(b) plan.
• Pre-tax flexible spending accounts.
• Life insurance paid by AIF.
• Paid Maternity Leave.
• Commuter benefits.
• Paid vacation and sick time.
• Employee Assistance Program(EAP).
• Opportunities to learn and grow in all aspects of a non- profit organization.
The policy of AIF is to afford equal employment opportunity for all employees, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.