Business Title: Grant and Proposal Specialist
Location: Remote, located within US
Reporting to: Director of Development
Job Type: Full-time
KeraLink International (KLI) is a Maryland 501(c)(3) organization with a long record of success in restoring size in the corneal blind. KLI’s mission is preventing and curing corneal blindness through innovative programs, products, and services. Having successfully worked to eliminate the barriers to treatment of corneal blindness in the United States, today, our goal is to restore functional sight to people suffering from corneal blindness in lower- and middle-income countries (LMIC) who currently do not have access to treatment. Recognizing that what works in the developed world for addressing corneal blindness would not work in LMIC countries, KLI sold its network of eye banks in 2019 to focus on addressing corneal blindness in LMIC where access to human tissue transplantation is limited and there is a need for new solutions to prevent and cure corneal blindness.
KeraLink’s strategy is two-fold: to support partnering eye care institutions to develop and provide innovative services and procedures to diagnose and treat corneal disease; and to develop through investment and company building activities, social enterprises that bring groundbreaking technologies to people in need to cost effectively detect, diagnose, and treat corneal disease. KeraLink will fund these technology developments with grants and investments into social enterprise technology companies.
This position is primarily responsible for developing and writing grant proposals to domestic and foreign foundations, government, and intergovernmental agencies as well as corporate donors, high net worth individuals, and impact investors. The grant specialist will assemble and submit grant requests, establish and maintain personal contacts and relationships with grantors and government, and conduct prospect research. The grant specialist will also oversee the management of grants that KLI receives, maintaining a calendar of submissions and deadlines. Reporting to the Director of Development, the grant specialist will also assist in preparing presentations to high net worth individuals and impact investors who could support KLI and its partners.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Identify grant funding opportunities to support KLI’s efforts to prevent and reverse corneal blindness;
- Create and send letters of inquiry to prospective donors;
- Research and prepare proposals for corporations, private and public foundations, and domestic and government agencies;
- Construct budgets and assemble all materials required for proposals submission;
- Communicate KLI’s mission and programs to potential donors and impact investors;
- Establish and maintain personal contact and relationships with institutional donors, program officers, and investors;
- Review grant contracts;
- Maintain a calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports;
- Coordinate with KLI staff to ensure successful management of all grant-funded projects and that all reporting requirements are met in a timely manner;
- Assist in the management of donor and prospect information.
Key Qualifications, Requirements and Attributes:
- At least five years of experience preparing proposals for private and public US and international donors;
- Record of success in securing grants from donors in both the private and public sectors;
- Experience submitting grant packages to corporate donors and impact investors;
- Experience networking with other grant specialist experts in soliciting grants from domestic and foreign government aid agencies;
- Capable of researching and identifying grant opportunities in the fields of public health and international development;
- Sophisticated written and verbal communication skills, including the communication of scientific content for both professional and lay audiences;
- Excellent collaboration and team-building skills;
- A self-starter able to work independently and on their own initiative;
- Ambitious, innovative, and able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Provide support in achieving KLI fundraising targets;
- Assist in crafting proposals in a clear and compelling manner for medical and research industries, as well as lay audiences;
- Reflect KeraLink’s organizational core values in all you do;
- Provide excellent service to both internal and external constituents;
- Be a key player in helping KeraLink achieve its organizational goals;
- Effectively communicate work status and proactively identify issues for course correction.
- Health Insurance
- Health Savings Account with Company Match
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
- Paid Time Off
- 403b Retirement Plan with Company Match