THE BALTIMORE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA and ORCHKIDS
For over a century, the BSO has been recognized as one of America’s leading orchestras and one of Maryland’s most significant cultural institutions. As the largest cultural institution in Maryland, the BSO is internationally recognized and locally admired for its innovation, performances and recordings, and educational community initiatives including OrchKids. Launched in 2008, OrchKids provides children educational resources and fosters social change through the power of music in some of Baltimore’s under-resourced communities.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) Director of Partner Development works with external groups and internal teams to strategically plan engagement between partner networks and BSO products. The ideal candidate will easily apply the BSO product catalogue – including artist programming and earned- and contributed-revenue opportunities – to consultative conversations with current and potential partners and build an engagement and stewardship plan for each. Strong portfolio management skills encouraged: the BSO uses Tessitura arts enterprise software to manage our database and planning.
The Director of Partner Development has three main areas of focus: growing the pipeline for the new BSO Business Partner Program, creating relationships with community leaders and arts advocates throughout the state, and overseeing the BSO Volunteer Program. With the support of the Advancement Services Team and the direction of the Vice President of Advancement, this position has input on the future of the BSO with the new ideas that come from partnership and collaboration!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
BSO Business Partner Program
- Develop and build relationship with business owners to procure in-kind or cash donations through a newly launched introductory level giving program. Work with the Advancement operations team to organize and track the portfolio of current and prospective partners.
- Create proposals that properly align the partners’ capacity for giving and the benefits of partnership.
- Plan the annual strategy for Business Partners program communications and engagement, working across the organization to leverage all of the BSO’s assets for partnership.
- Solicit feedback from community leaders to learn how the BSO can organically support larger community efforts and needs.
- Determine mutually beneficial moves for collaboration with the goals of deepening our connections to the state of Maryland and introducing new people to the BSO mission.
- Attend community organization meetings, review local community development updates, and communicate to other BSO staff findings that may be relevant to the BSO mission.
BSO Volunteer Program
- Develop and implement a long-term and annual strategy for growing a new volunteerism program in which participants will serve the institution in several broad areas of focus.
- Manage the part-time Volunteer Coordinator in the execution of the BSO’s Volunteer program initiatives and operations, including volunteer stewardship, management, recruitment, and onboarding.
- Review volunteer analytics and feedback for grant reporting and growth opportunities.
- Advocate for BSO staff to use volunteer services as a resource in project planning, developing new volunteer opportunities in cross-departmental conversation.
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- 5 – 7 years of portfolio management experience using CRM software
- 5 years of project management experience
- Proven success managing fundraising or sales campaigns
- Strategic, holistic, and collaborative approach to planning and execution
- Experience as a volunteer or working closely with volunteers
- Future-thinking time-management skills
- Confident presentation and people skills
- Enthusiasm for music, Maryland, community, and relationship & business development
- Strong relationships throughout Maryland a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary: $65,000 – $75,000
- Health insurance: two options to choose from; all at low cost to the employee
- Dental, Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid entirely by the BSO
- Generous paid time off, including annual, personal and sick leave
- 403(b) Plan
- Health Savings Account, employer contributes portion
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including Medical and Dependent Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free/discounted tickets to BSO concerts
- Hybrid Work Schedule available, depending on position requirements
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
THE BALTIMORE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERThe Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and OrchKids do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, differing physical abilities, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
The BSO is committed to improving and protecting the health of our musicians, staff, and our communities. We comply fully with the COVID-19 requirements of the state of Maryland and the city of Baltimore. It is required that employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.