Business Title: Director of Development
Location: Remote, located within US
Reporting to: CEO
Job Type: Full-time Position (Exempt)
KeraLink International “(KeraLink”) is a Maryland 501 (c) (3) organization whose mission is preventing and curing corneal blindness through innovative programs, products, and services. Our vision is to restore functional sight to people suffering from corneal blindness globally who, without KeraLink’s efforts, would not have been helped. Recognizing that what works in the developed world for addressing corneal blindness does not work in lower income countries, KeraLink sold it’s network of eye banks in 2019 to focus on addressing corneal blindness in developing countries, where there is a great unmet need for novel solutions to address corneal blindness.
Our strategy is two-fold: to support partnering eye care institutions to develop and provide innovative services and procedures to diagnose and treat corneal disease; and to develop through investment and company building activities, social enterprises that bring groundbreaking technologies to people in need to cost effectively detect, diagnose, and treat corneal disease. KeraLink will fund these technology developments with grants and investments into social enterprise technology companies.
We are looking for an experienced fundraising leader to define and develop fundraising strategy with a focus on grants, major gifts, foundations and corporate partnerships.
This position is responsible for creating, managing, and delivering KeraLink’s fundraising strategy to grow income that will support the innovative programs, products, and services that KeraLink will provide. Expected to achieve the fundraising goals and engage donors and sponsors in ongoing service activities.
The purpose of this position is to develop and execute all aspects of an ongoing, effective, and compelling fundraising communications strategy to not only ensure that KeraLink’s potential supporters, collaborators, stakeholders and constituents are continually aware of KeraLink’s mission and activities but to also foster financial support through donations from grants, corporations, foundations and high net worth individuals.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Create and implement annual fundraising plan and strategy with a goal of raising $1.5M-$2M annually
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current/potential corporate & foundation sponsors and high net worth individual donors
- Develop and lead strategies/activities to research, identify, prioritize, cultivate, solicit, recognize, and steward all donors and prospects
- Recommend and implement a CRM system that will assist you with maintaining an accurate grant list of potential funding opportunities
- Write grant proposals and reports to corporate, foundation, high net worth individuals and government funders and engage with these donors to secure large grants.
- Oversee production of individual donor campaigns and special appeals
- Solicit and cultivate donors
- Coordinate marketing efforts for outreach initiatives and other promotional and branding needs
- Train and lead other staff to support fundraising and marketing efforts
- Report to senior leadership and the board on fundraising progress
- Assist CEO in working with the board to enhance fundraising efforts
- Develop, manage, maintain, and promote KeraLink’s presence through both traditional and social media, including creating and disseminating compelling content and relevant updates to drive favorable coverage and positive reader/viewer interest
- Assist in development, coordination, and delivery of presentations to current or potential partners, benefactors, clinicians, patients, and any other stakeholders
- Manage and provide guidance to the contractual grant writer and any new hires that is a part of the fundraising team
Key Qualifications, Requirements and Attributes:
You must have at least 10 years of soliciting Major Gifts in a non-profit organization. Experience with managing at least 100 donors and prospects and have consistently solicited gifts in the five-and six-figure range.
- Ability to articulate a case for support and create compelling and impactful content for support
- Sophisticated written and verbal communication skills, including the communication of scientific content in a way that is understandable to layperson.
- Excellent collaboration and team-building skills
- A self-starter able to work independently and on their own initiative
- Ambitious, innovative, and able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Flexibility to shift working hours to accommodate teams abroad. Some domestic/international travel.
- Driven to deliver outstanding results and committed to KeraLink’s mission and vision
- Management experience preferred.
- Proven track record of exceeding team goal targets.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines
- Annual Fundraising target is $1.5M to $2.5M
- Develop a fundraising strategy
- Recommend and implement a CRM system
- Reflect KeraLink’s organizational core values in all you do
- Provide excellent service to both internal and external constituents
- Be a key player in helping KeraLink achieve its organizational goals
- Maintain and operate within approved budget constraints
- Effectively communicate and give presentations with the ability to be persuasive while developing a positive rapport
- Interact with colleagues both inside and outside of KeraLink in a way that builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation
- Develop and communicate specific plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your goals in an accurate and timely manner
- Effectively communicate work status and proactively identify issues for course correction
- Health Insurance
- Health Savings Account with Company Match
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
- Paid Time Off
- 403b Retirement Plan with Company Match