Position Title: Director of Development
Organization: CLEAR Project at CUNY Law School
Reports to: Founding Director
Position: Full-Time, Hybrid, Exempt
Location: New York, New York
Salary: $95,000 – $115,000
About the Organization
The Creating Law Enforcement Accountability & Responsibility (CLEAR) project’s mandate is to support Muslim and all other clients, communities, and movements in the New York City area and beyond that are targeted by local, state, or federal government agencies under the guise of national security or counterterrorism.
CLEAR Project provides three primary services free of charge: legal representation and consultation, rights awareness, and support for community organizing and social movements. CLEAR Project is the only organization that systematically provides this range of support and services free of charge.
CLEAR Project is housed at Main Street Legal Services, Inc., the clinical arm of the City University of New York (CUNY) School of Law. CLEAR Project is staffed by a professor at the law school, attorneys, and during the academic year, law students. CLEAR Project is a free-standing clinic at the law school.
Learn more about CLEAR here: https://www.cunyclear.org
CLEAR Project is expanding its team with the addition of its first full time Director of Development. This individual will set the vision and strategy to secure funding from private philanthropic sources towards a $1,000,000 budget. This newly-created position will work closely with the Founding Director and Senior Staff Attorney to expand revenue sources and build a diverse funding portfolio. The ideal Director of Development will be a high-performing professional who thrives on the innovation, creativity, and collaboration required of a growing program.
The Director of Development is an integral team member, driving the acquisition of resources to bolster CLEAR Project’s funding requirements and growth plans. If you are excited to support transforming law enforcement policies and practices, especially as they impact Black and/or Muslim and/or immigrant communities and activists.
The Director of Development reports to the Founding Director. Primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to, the following:
Organizational Growth and Administration
- Create, develop, and implement a comprehensive strategic development plan to maximize funding streams and reach annual goals through a varied portfolio of private philanthropic support.
- Create and oversee the annual department budget, building metrics to measure progress toward established goals.
- Stay abreast of nonprofit fundraising trends and best practices.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward all prospects and donors, providing an exceptional experience that attracts new supporters and regularly engages donors in CLEAR Project’s mission.
- Organize fundraising, cultivation, stewardship events, and campaigns.
- Maintain donor database, ensuring the timely and accurate acknowledgment of all gifts and pledges.
- Collaborate with the Founding Director and Senior Staff Attorney to establish a major gifts program.
- Experience cultivating individual donors resulting in gifts of $10,000+
- Develop and implement communication strategies and materials to increase visibility, reach new and diverse donors and audiences, and enhance understanding of and financial support for CLEAR Project’s mission.
Grants and Institutional Support
- Actively work with the Founding Director to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include foundation grants.
- Develop and monitor a grants calendar to ensure that all proposal and reporting deadlines are met.
- Prepare and submit letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports in collaboration with the Founding Director.
- Monitor donor information, providing and presenting statistical analysis and reports to senior leaders.
- Experience securing and sustaining multi-year grants.
- Staying abreast of fundraising and philanthropic trends to help position CLEAR Project ahead of major funding changes and new developments.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit corporate gifts and grants.
Knowledge, Skills, and Expertise
The Director of Development will be a core member of the CLEAR Project leadership team. We are looking for a collegial, collaborative teammate with a minimum of 7 years of substantive development experience, which includes a successful track record of closing major gifts and/or grants, and diversifying revenue streams.
We recognize that an individual’s experience is gained through a wide and diverse range of personal, professional, and educational opportunities. When reviewing applications, we take a broad look at the combined experiences of each candidate. These are the skills and values we prioritize:
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice, which is the heart of our work, as well as cultural competence when working with our diverse group of donors and program participants.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising strategy and principles, with a demonstrated track record of identifying, cultivating, securing, and expanding donor relationships over time.
- Demonstrated expertise in diversifying revenue sources.
- Eagerness to learn, take initiative, anticipate problems, and develop creative solutions as a vital member of a small but powerful team.
- A proven background in soliciting and closing large gifts, in addition to developing, implementing, and managing annual giving campaigns.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to build relationships and represent CLEAR Project to funders, external partners, and the general public.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; demonstrated attention to detail, including financial oversight and strategic planning capabilities.
- Strong technical skills, including experience with database/CRM tools, email communication platforms (e.g., MailChimp), and design platforms (e.g., Canva, Adobe Creative Suite)
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and amplifying and centering the voices and experiences of the community.
- Familiarity and experience with the legal system, or a willingness to learn.
This is a full-time exempt salaried position. The salary range is $95,000 – $115,000 and is commensurate with experience. Benefits include a health reimbursement stipend.
The position is hybrid, with weekly meetings in the office. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required, as well as a willingness to travel as needed.
CLEAR Project is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation and/or identity, criminal record, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Research has shown that traditionally marginalized communities (people of color, people with disabilities, etc.) often don’t apply for jobs if they don’t meet every qualification. If you think you can do this job but don’t meet every qualification, we encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
CLEAR Project has retained the exclusive services of Charity Search Group to coordinate the search for this position. To discuss your suitability for this role, please contact Monika Whitfield (email@example.com) or visit www.charitysearchgroup.com