The assistant director of development will join a team of experienced development professionals to secure philanthropic investments for one of the largest and most comprehensive engineering colleges in the nation. As an externally focused development professional, the assistant director’s effectiveness will be evaluated on the ability to achieve financial goals and contact metrics consistent with the programs and prospects assigned. The assistant director reports to the director of development of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.
- Work with development colleagues, volunteers and academic leaders to identify, cultivate and solicit annual, major and planned gifts
- Develop and submit written proposals, budgets, and other collateral materials as needed for securing philanthropic investments
- Proactively manage a portfolio of annual giving ($5,000 – $25,000) and major gift ($25,000+) prospects, which includes a mix of individual donors, corporate donors and foundations
- Work with development colleagues to strategically build out, execute, and streamline annual engagement and fundraising initiatives for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, including but not limited to: giving circles, mini campaigns and Pitchfunder requests, annual scholarships, Golden Reunion, Sun Devil Giving Day, parent engagement, and event sponsorships
- Identify new annual giving and major gift prospects and connect them based on their interests to the appropriate area within the Fulton Schools of Engineering
- Use the ASU Foundation prospect management and tracking system (Salesforce) to record and coordinate contacts and proposals
- Be responsible for core fundraising metrics including high impact contacts with prospects, annual and major gift proposals submitted, and dollars raised
- Ensure proper stewardship and recognition of donors
- Develop a strong working relationship with chairs, directors, and faculty members
- Participate as a member of the ASU Foundation development team and serve as a resource to development colleagues regarding fundraising opportunities
- Work in a fast-paced, results oriented environment with complex and evolving relationships and priorities
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising, preferably in higher education
- Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and by phone
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Foundation and University business and confidential prospect information
- Self-starter able to secure personal appointments and qualify new prospects
- Demonstrated achievement in securing philanthropic investments
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to travel regionally and nationally, when necessary, to engage and solicit major gift prospects
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
- Ability to represent the institution well
- Belief in the vision of ASU as the New American University
- Ability to prepare complex and detailed proposals and related materials
- Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable working in donor/prospect computer data base systems
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment
- Adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans
Clarity of focus while juggling complex projects and/or deadlines. Ability to meet demanding work schedule expectations
Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years of successful professional development and/or fundraising-related experience, preferably in higher education: OR, any equivalent combinations of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been achieved.
The starting salary for this role is $70,000 along with a comprehensive benefits package.
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work. Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds. Regular activities require the ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to the resolution of conflicts. May be required to perform tasks in the field within and/or across University campuses. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions. This position may require some early mornings and evenings to accommodate meetings and events. This position currently requires you to work from the office Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays with Monday and Friday optional remote days.
ASUEP follows federal guidance which requires employees of federal contractors to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, except in limited circumstances in which an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
This position will require a Surface/laptop computer, a mobile communication device ($30 bi-weekly payroll reimbursement), foundation corporate credit card, and business cards.
ASU Enterprise Partners and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer that is firmly committed to promoting justice, equity, diversity and inclusion within our organization and throughout our sphere of influence. Because we embrace a spirit of innovation and achievement, we will endeavor to maximize the talent and potential of all employees, directors, and volunteers through bold and strategic action aimed at building success and a sense of belonging. All employees are expected to act in good faith to support these actions and to not impede the efforts of others to build a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization.