Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, American University
“We are a University of strivers and dreamers, of activists and artists, of scholars and servant-leaders. We realize that when we all contribute, we all succeed. We are, quite literally, one-AU.” – President Sylvia Burwell
American University is a student-centered research institution located in Washington, DC, with highly-ranked schools and colleges, internationally-renowned faculty, and a reputation for creating meaningful change in the world. Our students distinguish themselves with their service, leadership, and ability to rethink global and domestic challenges and opportunities.
At AU passion becomes action; students actively engage in the world around them; and the leaders of today train the leaders of tomorrow.
We are looking for candidates who reflect the diversity of our student body. At AU, we are deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. American University was founded to respond to the needs of a changing world, with a set of guiding values—among them diversity, equity, and inclusion. AU cannot be excellent without being truly inclusive, and without taking the concrete, specific steps to improve our campus climate.
BIPOC, LGBTQ+, immigrants, multilingual, mature or differently abled candidates, and people of all faiths or none at all are encouraged to apply.
About Change Can’t Wait: The Campaign for American University
With a $500 million goal, Change Can’t Wait will create transformative educational opportunities for students, advance research with impact, and build stronger communities locally, nationally, and globally. Why us? Changemaking is in our DNA. Why now? We know change can’t wait.
American University seeks a proactive, and entrepreneurial Director of Corporate and Foundation Relation with the knowledge and skills to prioritize six and seven-figure grants and gifts from foundations, corporations and other non-governmental grant-making organizations. Reporting to the Senior Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, the Director will work with university leadership, faculty and staff to help guide and pursue funding opportunities that advance university priorities and strengths. The position also liaises with Development Officers to help inform engagement of corporate and foundation prospects.
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding a portfolio of diverse CFR prospects for institutional research and projects, and inform stewardship strategies. Applying knowledge of university priorities and core areas of strength to the development and implementation of corporate and foundation strategies in collaboration with senior administrators, faculty and staff;
- Assisting senior administration and faculty in the preparation of proposals and other communication support, and at times assuming the full responsibility for proposal development from start to finish;
- Establishing and maintaining working relationships with colleagues, faculty, and university officials, with an emphasis on tact, diplomacy, flexibility, professionalism and discretion;
- Proactively reaching out to external partners to establish areas of interests and alignment with university funding priorities.
- Securing a broad range of corporate support including foundation grants, sponsorships and corporate partnerships.
- Collaborating with advancement colleagues to identify optimal engagement opportunities for key decision makers.
- Setting and achieving ambitious fundraising goals, both short and long-term.
- A minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience with a focus on securing gifts($50,000 +) from corporations and foundations.
- Proven track record of closing 6- and 7-figure gifts.
- Experience working with a broad range of corporations and foundations in creating complex partnerships.
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships with a broad range of partners including researchers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills demonstrated by clear, concise, and persuasive writing, public speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated experience successfully working with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent analytical, research and time management skills.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter and action-oriented.
- An ability to set and achieve revenue generating goals.
- Understanding of the complexity of higher education environments and the case for support for research would be an asset.
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
Travel and Work arrangements:
This is an on-campus position in Washington, DC. Some work from home accommodations may be made. Staff is currently working in a hybrid work environment until at least June 30, 2022.
Compensation and Benefits:
AU offers a comprehensive benefits package and a competitive compensation. The target salary range for this position is $100,000-$130,000 with some flexibility commensurate with experience.
American University has retained the services of Charity Search Group to coordinate the search for this position. To discuss your suitability for the role, please contact Mariya Yurukova (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit www.charitysearchgroup.com.
Interested in this role? Apply online or book a call to find out more.
|Job Category:||Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations|
|Closing Date:||Open until filled|
|Important:||Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis; early application is strongly suggested.|